Saturday, May 11, 2013

Thomas The Cake Engine

Here's the thing about making fancy birthday cakes. There's all that planning, building, painting and effort, and then bam. It's destroyed right before your eyes as the knife cuts in. But oh, isn't it worth it when your little one's eyes light up? Harry loved his cake. My heart melted when I walked in and found him giving the icing face a "smoocher" and a cuddle... and it wasn't even a cake yet! Thomas got more smooches when he was finished, too. At this point it's the cake, not presents, that has Harry feeling like it's his birthday.

I have a lot to learn when it comes to cake decorating, but I think by the time the kids hit the 18 year old mark, I'll probably have the knack. I don't think I'll give up my day job...lol!

Here's Thomas with his crumb coat on. My crumb coat was a help, but could have been better... apparently you need a crusting buttercream, but mine didn't crust. Still, it was better than nothing. Already, he has a bit of a lean backwards. So this is Drunken Thomas.

Here he is, all iced up. Icing is definitely not my strong suit. Still, his colours didn't mix into a multicoloured mess, his wheels worked out well, and most of the crumbs stayed away. I just didn't get a smooth finish. This is Textured Thomas.

Here's Harry giving the camera a smile just after laying a big ol' kiss on Thomas. Yes... that's Harry's special "smile for the camera". Funny bloke. Smooched Thomas.

Here's Hubby and Vicki, having just witnessed a train wreck of epic proportions.

Demolition Thomas.

 

And this right here? The Clean Up Crew.

Anyway, the cake tasted great!

 

I wonder what I'll make for Vicki's first in a couple of months? Better start planning now - I might need to stock up on supplies. We're lucky with our "local" IGA, but there were a lot of things I couldn't get, eg gel food colour, fondant tools and black strap licorice.

Tomorrow, I plan to do a whole lot of nothing, except drink tea from the beautiful mug Harry made at childcare. Look at the portrait of me he did.

Beautiful, aren't I? Lol... I absolutely treasure this. It's the first thing he's made for me, and I love it.

 

2 comments:

  1. What a cool mug. That must be your new favourite for your bedtime cuppa. Harry cracks me up with his smooches. I hope Thomas appreciated all the loving he got.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great effort..........I never did go for the fancy birthday cakes.............not creative in that department.........the decorating ideas one anyway..........

    ReplyDelete